In order to protect the Picos de Europa National Park (Biosphere Reserve), a new year has been designed access plan to the lakes of Covadonga only by public transport. This plan regulates the access during the days of maximum affluence at Easter, summer and certain bridges. The rest of the year can be climbed freely by private vehicle.
The access to the sanctuary of Covadonga is free all year round and can be reached either by public transport or by private vehicle without any limitations. During the periods of regulation, a fleet of buses guarantees the displacement of all visitors between Cangas de Onís, Covadonga and the lakes, making stops at the main points of interest of the route, including hotels and activities.
The dates of operation of public transport to the lakes of Covadonga in the year 2016 are:
- Between Thursday 24 of March and Sunday 27 of March, both inclusive.
- Between Saturday 30 in April and Monday 2 in May, both inclusive.
– Between Friday 15 of July and Thursday 8 of September, both inclusive. The 25 of July and the 29 of August are excluded from the cut.
- Between Saturday 3 of December and Sunday 11 of December.
During the Lagos Plan, the road between Covadonga and the lakes will be closed to traffic between 8: 30 and 20: 00 hours. For the days of December, the road will be closed to traffic between 8: 30 and 19: 00.
9: 00 hours first bus ride.
18: 30 hours last bus ride.
19: 30 hours last descent of the lakes.
In December, the last upload service is to the 17: 30 hours, while the last download of the lakes will be to the 18: 30 hours.
· Parking of vehicles in the authorized parking spaces (valid all day): 2 € / car.
· Adult bus ticket (valid all day): 8 €.
· Bus ticket minor of 12 years (valid all day): 3,50 €.
· Minus bus ticket of 3 years (valid all day): free.
· Bus ticket Cangas de Onís - Covadonga (one way): 1,50 €.
Source Consortium of Transports of Asturias