The council is surrounded by a system of mountain ranges, saws and cordales of variable heights; starting from the 150,5 dimension m. to which Infiesto, capital of the municipality, is located, the 1.419 m elevation is reached. in the Vizcares peak. There are large areas of forests of beech, oak, chestnut and hazel; the valleys are dedicated to the cultivation of the walnut and apple tree forming the typical pumaradas. Your river, the Piloña River, crosses the demarcation from east to west.
The council has two cataloged and protected areas: the Sierra del Sueve and the Partial Natural Reserve of the Cueva del Sidrón, this second one is also declared an Asset of Cultural Interest.
Piloña limits to the North with Villaviciosa and Colunga, to the South with Caso, Sobrescobio and Laviana; to the East with Parres and Ponga; and to the West with Nava and Cabranes.
How to get there
The roads of communication of the council articulate from the highway N-634, which crosses the council from East to West. Towards the north the autonomic ones AS-255, that goes towards Villaviciosa, the AS-258 and the AS-259, that go to Colunga, and the AS-332, that connects the AS-258 with Villaviciosa; and to the South, the AS-254 to Campo de Caso and the AS-339 to Ponga stand out.
The existence of inhabitants since prehistoric times is confirmed; diverse archaeological remains have appeared in some caves, and in the one of Sidrón, next to Borines, there are samples of rock art.
He is known as «Man of Sidrón» seems to identify with the characteristic features of the Man of Neanderthal and the possibility arises that we are facing one of the most primitive types of Neanderthals, although in this respect, the scientific community has not yet been conclusively defined.
In the medieval centuries it was delimited and defining a territory that receives the name of Piloña, differentiated from that of its neighbors. It has always been a council involved in historical events, during the War of Independence, in 1810, the Spanish troops commanded by General Nicolás Llano Ponte are concentrated in Infiesto to stop the advance of the invading troops; During the October Revolution of 1934, the council had some participation in what has been called the fourth insurrectional axis, which stretched from Oviedo to Oriente, to Infiesto; and in the military uprising of 1936, the council of Piloña, was framed in the Asturian zone loyal to the Republic.
We can say, that already in the s. XX, the economic activity recovered a certain pulse with the establishment of several industrial factories among which we can highlight mineral waters (Borines and Ques), dairy products (Nestlé), cider wineries, sweets (The Chupa-Chup world-recognized firm, was conceived by a businessman from Villamayor), furniture factories, etc.
Sample of the best Asturian Romanesque art it is the Church of Santa María de Villamayor, of which the apse and a lateral façade constitute the only preserved building of the monastery of the same name.
Of its civil architecture there are also scattered by almost all the parishes of the council numerous mansions and palaces, which are dated between the 16th and 18th centuries, and their visit is highly recommended.
What to see
Cave of the Sidrón.
Church of Santa María de Villamayor.
Palace of Cutre (La Goleta).
Palace of Las Huelgas (Villamayor).
Gastronomic Days of the Hunting, in February.
Fiesta del Asturcón in La Majada de Espineres, second half of August.
Festival of the Hazelnut in Infiesto, the first Sunday of October.
Useful telephone numbers
Town hall Covadonga, 9. Infiesto Tno 985 71 00 13.