Asturias adds more than two hundred beaches on its coastline. Most are among the most natural and best preserved in Spain, and practically all of them stand out for some specific reason: for their beauty, for their rugged nature in numerous cases, for being popular and crowded in others, for their large size, for being coquettish coves… To make a list of the best beaches in Asturias is a very difficult task but let's try it.
Best surfing beaches in Asturias
· In the western zone deserve a mention:
· Peñarronda beach in Castropol, La Grande beach in Tapia de Casariego, Cueva beach and Otur beach in Valdés, Frexulfe beach and Navia beach in the municipality of Navia.
· In the central area from the Asturian coast highlight:
· Salinas and El Espartal beaches in Castrillón. Oriented to the Northwest like most of the best surfing beaches in Asturias, it is considered one of the most appropriate for surfing.
· The Verdicio and Xagó beaches in Gozón.
· The beach of San Lorenzo of Gijón. Urban and busy beach, one of the largest in Asturias with 1,5 km long. Peñarrubia and El Mongol, also in Gijón.
· Spain Beach in Villaviciosa; where it is located the beach of Rodiles, one of the best beaches in northern Spain for this sport.
More info The beach of Rodiles
· In the eastern area from Asturias mention:
· The beaches of Santa Marina and Vega in Ribadesella, and the beach of San Antolín in Llanes.
Beautiful beaches of Asturias
· The beach of Porcía, Tapia de Casariego.
· The beach of Porcía has deserved fame of being one of the most beautiful of the Asturian West, it has several islands: Isla Grande, Isla Pequeña and Gavioteiro. It is also a refuge for migratory birds and has an enormous natural and scenic value.
More info The beach of Porcía
· The beach of Silencio or Gaviero, Cudillero.
Fine golden sand combines with gravel and boulders. To access it we must leave our vehicle in the vicinity of the town of Castañeras and descend by steep stairs. It has a shell shape and a length that does not exceed 500 meters in length. Half a kilometer loaded with charms.
It is located in the western half of the council of Cudillero, to Poniente del Cabo Vidio. The nearest towns are Castañeras and Novellana.
More info The beach of Silence
· Beach of Cuevas del Mar, Llanes.
The mouth of the small river Ereba forms a very interesting karstic landscape of great beauty.
More info Beach of Cuevas del Mar
· Beach of Barro, Llanes.
It is a semi-urban beach with a high influx of public in the summer season due to its proximity to the town of Llanes. It is ideal to approach with children because its waves are always moderate.
More info Beach of Barro
· Gulpiyuri Beach, Llanes.
Small semicircular beach formed by a closed dolina and surrounded by cliffs, hidden in a spectacular environment. It has been declared a Natural Monument. You can only walk from San Antolín beach or from Naves and its isolation has allowed the relatively good conservation that it presents today.
More info How to get to Gulpiyuri Beach